Monday, March 26, 2012

Good Engines mean Good Progress

Three.js is a really neat framework.  I haven't had this much fun since coding with JavaFX's scene graph and doing my DemolitionFX game .   I don't have a lot experience with the 3D world.  I read the posts by John Carmack back in the day talking about shaders and textures and it all went in one ear and out the other.  I Spent the last several days taking apart that terrain deformation example and learning about vertex and fragment shaders.  I learned about 3d models.  I learned that Three.js can import a pre-defined 3d model and USE it quickly and easily.  I worked through some of the math and found a simple bulldozer (really more of a back-hoe)  and got an initial prototype up and running. I was ecstatic with the results.  Full 3d, abiity to rotate and zoom to your heart's content, ability to apply lighting and textures and shadows  Attached video below showing some primitive 'digging' prototyping. Note that the dirt doesn't actually 'go' anywhere yet.. and the dozer doesn't 'know' about the height changes yet (floats on the surface)....but I am pleased as pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment